An experimental apparatus to allow students to investigate deflection and stability of beam and cantilever structures.
The experiment hardware consists of a backboard that fixes to the Structures Test Frame (STR1, available separately). Test beams fit onto the backboard using a rigid clamp and knife-edge supports. Students apply loads at any position using hangers holding various masses. Mounted on a trammel, a digital deflection indicator traverses the beam. The indicator measures beam deflection. Scales on the backboard show the position of the indicator, the loads and supports.
The lecturer guide provides details of the equipment including sample experiment results. The student guide describes how to use the equipment and gives experiment procedures.
For extra ‘virtual’ experiments, TecQuipment can supply the optional TecQuipment Structures Software (STRS), for use on a suitable computer. The virtual experiments simulate the tests you can perform with the hardware. They also extend the choice of tests beyond that available using only the hardware, for example: higher loads, uniform loads or different test specimens. This extends the student’s learning experience.
For automatic data acquisition of your experiment results, TecQuipment can supply the optional Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000). Supplied as standard with the STR2000 is TecQuipment’s Structures Software that displays and logs your experiment results and gives the extra virtual experiments.
- High-quality structures teaching module for students of mechanical, civil and structural engineering
- Allows safe and practical experiments into deflections of beams and cantilevers
- Realistic and verifiable experiment results
- Optional TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for extra ‘virtual’ experiments that simulate and confirm the results from your hardware and allow extended experiments
- Optional STR2000 unit including TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for automatic data acquisition and virtual experiments
- One of many interchangeable experiment modules from TecQuipment’s modern, flexible and cost effective Structures teaching system
- Ideal for classroom demonstrations, or students working in pairs or small groups
- Beam deflections
- General bending formulae
- Beam end rotations
- Elastic moduli (Young’s modulus) for various materials – Typical conditions are:
- Propped cantilever
- Encastre beam
- Simply supported beam