An experimental apparatus to allow students to investigate the deflection and stability of struts (slender columns).
The experiment hardware fits onto a Structures Test Frame (STR1, available separately). Students compress aluminium columns (struts) using a screw mechanism. The equipment uses chucks to hold the struts and allows different endfixing conditions. An integral load cell connected to a Digital Force Display (STR1a, available separately) displays the load on the strut as it is compressed. A magnetic deflection scale shows how much the strut buckles. Students continue compressing the strut until reaching the critical buckling load. They then repeat the experiment using different strut lengths or fixing conditions, analyzing their results.
The equipment includes strut storage space and five different sizes of aluminium strut.
The lecturer guide provides details of the equipment including sample experiment results.The student guide describes how to use the equipment and gives experiment procedures.
For extra ‘virtual’ experiments, TecQuipment can supply the optional TecQuipment Structures Software (STRS), for use on a suitable computer. The virtual experiments simulate the tests you can perform with the hardware. They also extend the choice of tests beyond that available using only the hardware, for example: higher loads, uniform loads or different test specimens. This extends the student’s learning experience.
For automatic data acquisition of your experiment results, TecQuipment can supply the optional Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000). Supplied as standard with the STR2000 is TecQuipment’s Structures Software that displays and logs your experiment results and gives the extra virtual experiments.
- High-quality structures teaching module for students of mechanical, civil and structural engineering
- Allows safe and practical experiments into buckling of struts
- Realistic and verifiable experiments results
- Optional TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for extra ‘virtual’ experiments that simulate and confirm the results from your hardware and allow extended experiments
- Optional STR2000 unit with TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for automatic data acquisition and virtual experiments
- One of many interchangeable experiment modules from TecQuipment’s modern, flexible and cost effective Structures teaching system
- Ideal for classroom demonstrations, or students working in pairs or small groups
- Euler buckling loads
- Relationship between strut length and collapse load
- Relationship between various end-fixing conditions and collapse load
- Nature of deflection and deflected shapes with various end-fixing conditions