An experimental apparatus to allow students to create a wide selection of pin-jointed frameworks and then investigate the effects resulting from applying loading forces to them.
The experiment hardware fits onto a Structures Test Frame (STR1, available separately). Students use stainless-steel members to build different pin-jointed frameworks. The members join by slotting the ends into bosses.
The equipment includes two framework supports: a pivoting support, and a pivoting and rolling support. Each member has a strain gauge attached that connects to a digital strain bridge. A load cell applies loads to the structure at various angles. When connected to the optional Digital Force Display (STR1a), the load cell measures the applied load. To apply loads simultaneously, extra load cells are available (STR8a).
A digital deflection indicator measures the deflection and the digital strain bridge shows the strains in the members. From this, students can calculate the forces in the members.
TecQuipment supplies the members in a custom-made storage tray to avoid accidental damage. A second tray stores the joint bosses and other loose items.
Included is a lead to connect the load cell to a Digital Force Display (STR1a, available separately). The lecturer guide provides details of the equipment including sample experiment results. The student guide describes how to use the equipment and gives experiment procedures. For extra ‘virtual’ experiments, TecQuipment can supply the optional TecQuipment Structures Software (STRS), for use on a suitable computer. The virtual experiments simulate the tests you can perform with the hardware. They also extend the choice of tests beyond that available using only the hardware, for example: higher loads, uniform loads or different test specimens. This extends the student’s learning experience.
For automatic data acquisition of your experiment results, TecQuipment can supply the optional Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000). Supplied as standard with the STR2000 is TecQuipment’s Structures Software that displays and logs your experiment results and gives the extra virtual experiments.
- High-quality structures teaching module for students of mechanical, civil and structural engineering
- Allows safe and practical experiments into pin-jointed frameworks
- Realistic and verifiable experiments results
- Optional TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for extra ‘virtual’ experiments that simulate and confirm the results from your hardware and allow extended experiments
- Optional STR2000 unit with TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for automatic data acquisition and virtual experiments
- One of many interchangeable experiment modules from TecQuipment’s modern, flexible and cost effective structures teaching system
- Ideal for classroom demonstrations, or students working in pairs or small groups
- Study of Bow’s Notation, strains, stresses, forces and deflections in various frameworks, including a Warren girder and roof truss
- Comparison of different frameworks