An experimental apparatus to allow students to investigate deflection and stability within a structure in relation to beams with unsymmetrical sections.
The experiment hardware fits onto a Structures Test Frame (STR1, available separately). It examines the vertical and horizontal deflection of different asymmetrical sections at various angles and loads.
Two multi-way chucks hold a test specimen vertically. One chuck has an indexing system for rotating the beam in set increments. This changes the angle of loading. The other chuck and a weight hanger applies a variable load. Two digital deflection indicators measure deflection in the x and y directions. An interchangeable plate allows students to find the shear centre of the specimen.
The lecturer guide provides details of the equipment including sample experiment results. The student guide describes how to use the equipment and gives experiment procedures.
For extra ‘virtual’ experiments, TecQuipment can supply the optional TecQuipment Structures Software (STRS), for use on a suitable computer. The virtual experiments simulate the tests you can perform with the hardware. They also extend the choice of tests beyond that available using only the hardware, for example: higher loads, uniform loads or different test specimens. This extends the student’s learning experience.
For automatic data acquisition of your experiment results, TecQuipment can supply the optional Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000). Supplied as standard with the STR2000 is TecQuipment’s Structures Software that displays and logs your experiment results and gives the extra virtual experiments.
- High-quality structures teaching module for students of mechanical, civil and structural engineering
- Allows safe and practical experiments into unsymmetrical bending and shear centre
- Realistic and verifiable experiments results
- Optional TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for extra ‘virtual’ experiments that simulate and confirm the results from your hardware and allow extended experiments
- Optional STR2000 unit with TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for automatic data acquisition and virtual experiments
- One of many interchangeable experiment modules from TecQuipment’s modern, flexible and cost effective structures teaching system
- Ideal for classroom demonstrations, or students working in pairs or small groups
- Horizontal and vertical deflection of different asymmetrical sections at various angles
- Horizontal and vertical deflection of different asymmetrical sections under various loads
- The relationship between the vertical and horizontal deflections and the principal moments of area of each section
- The shear centre of various asymmetrical sections.