Complete Interferometer System
No study of interferometry should overlook the historical importance of the Michelson interferometer. Yet in the laboratory, the Fabry-Perot and Twyman-Green interferometers can be the more important tools; the first for high-resolution spectroscopy, the second for testing and producing optical components with aberrations that can be measured in fractions of a wavelength.
The PASCO Interferometer is a high-precision movable-mirror interferometer that can be used to perform Michelson, Fabry-Perot, and Twyman-Green interferometry. Mirrors are attached with thumbscrews, so it’s easy to set up and change configurations.
The PASCO Interferometer can be ordered in a variety of systems. The Precision (Basic) Interferometer (OS-9255A) can be operated in either the Michelson or Fabry-Perot modes. The Complete Interferometer Systems also contain components for the Twyman-Green mode and a vacuum pump for the refractive index of air experiment.
- For high-quality fringe patterns, using a laser as a light source is recommended. Spectral sources can also be used, but setup is more difficult, and the brightness and contrast of the fringes is reduced.
- These interferometer systems are fully compatible with PASCO’s line of Advanced Optics Systems and components.
- The fitted case will hold all components and accessories except the 5 kg base, which must be stored separately.
- Introduction to Interferometry
- The Index of Refraction of Air
- The Index of Refraction of Glass