A self-contained and mobile focusing solar energy collector unit to allow practical investigations into the principles of harnessing solar energy to produce heat energy.
A focusing solar energy collector on a mobile frame. Specially designed for educational use, the apparatus shows the principles, advantages and limits of this method of capturing solar energy.
It is a highly-polished stainless steel parabolic reflector, supported on trunnion bearings on a turntable. By adjusting the horizontal and vertical position of the reflector, students focus solar energy onto an energy collector. The energy collector is a copper cylinder with an embedded thermocouple that measures the cylinder temperature.
To enable students to compare different concentration ratios, TecQuipment supply four different sizes of energy collector. Also supplied is a removable transparent cover for the collector, so students can study the properties of shielded and unshielded collectors.
Attached to the reflector carrier is a solarimeter (pyranometer) that measures the incident solar radiation. An extra thermocouple measures ambient temperature for reference.
The cylinder thermocouple, the solarimeter and the ambient temperature thermocouple connect to a Display Unit. The Instrumentation Unit shows ambient temperature, collector temperature and solar intensity from the solarimeter. It also has a socket for connection to TecQuipment’s optional VDAS®.
The equipment works with TecQuipment’s Versatile Data Acquisition System (VDAS-B, not included). TecQuipment’s VDAS® allows accurate real-time data capture, monitoring, display, calculation and charting of all the important readings on a computer.
- Mobile, self-contained focusing solar energy collector specially designed for educational use
- Shows the principles, advantages and limitations of focusing solar energy collectors
- One of several TecQuipment products that show the use of renewable, environment-friendly solar energy
- Can connect to TecQuipment’s optional Versatile Data Acquisition System (VDAS®) for automatic data acquisition
- Includes four different sizes of collector for studies of different energy concentration ratios
- Removable transparent cover allows students to compare the properties of shielded and unshielded collectors
- Demonstrations of the performance, advantages and limitations of a focusing solar energy collector
- Understanding the effective use of the direct component of solar radiation
- Measurement of the efficiency of the collector with and without a transparent cover
- Measurement of the maximum possible energy collector temperature.