An experimental unit to allow students to find the dynamic efficiency of various drive types. The unit comes complete with a gear drive unit which can be configured as a simple or compound drive.
A bench-mounting base unit forms the main part of this set of products. Supplied with a three-shaft gear drive unit as standard, the base unit dynamically tests the gear drive and the other optional drive units (TM1018b, c and d). The dynamic tests run the input of the different drive units at a given speed using a motor, while measuring the input power. At the same time, a dynamometer loads the output of the drive unit while measuring the output power. Students use the measurements to find the performance and efficiency of the drive unit.
Students may set the gear unit (supplied) as a simple or compound drive by sliding a gear in or out of mesh on the third shaft.
TecQuipment includes simple tools needed to fit the drive units to the base unit, and to adjust the compound gear drive.
In the base unit’s upper level, the student fits their choice of drive unit. A variable-speed, low-voltage motor provides the shaft input turning force (effort) to the drive. A dynamometer provides the output braking force (load) to the drive. The dynamometer uses electromagnetic braking and a hysteresis effect to provide a variable load at a constant torque irrespective of the speed. Sensors on the motor and dynamometer measure their shaft speed, torque and therefore power in and out at the drive. Fans provide air cooling for both the motor and dynamometer. Flexible couplings with collets connect the drive unit to the motor and dynamometer for quick and accurate alignment.
Axial trunnions with race bearings hold the motor and the dynamometer for free rotation against their load cell sensors to measure torque accurately.
On the base unit’s lower level, controls and microprocessor controlled multi-line displays adjust the motor speed and the load while showing measurements of torque, speed and power.
The base unit’s upper level includes an interlocked guard with transparent sections to prevent students touching any moving parts, while allowing them to see what is happening.
You can do tests with or without a computer connected. However, for quicker tests with easier recording of results, TecQuipment can supply the optional Versatile Data Acquisition System (VDAS®). This gives accurate real-time data capture, monitoring and display, calculation and charting of all the important readings on a computer.
- For studies of velocity ratios and efficiencies of various geared systems
- Self-contained bench-mounted base unit for dynamic performance tests – including a dual-purpose simple and compound gear drive unit as standard
- Choice of optional drive units, including belt drives and a chain drive for comparative tests of different drive types.
- Interlocked transparent cover for safety, while allowing students to see the drive units working
- High stability drive motor and hysteresis effect dynamometer brake – for a constant torque at any given speed
- Simple tools provided for quick and easy changeover of drive systems
- Optional Test Stand (TM1018A) for static efficiency and inertia tests – including a flywheel as standard
- Can connect to TecQuipment’s Versatile Data Acquisition System (VDAS®)
- Simple and compound gear trains
- Mechanical Advantage, Velocity Ratio and dynamic efficiencies of gear trains
- Mechanical Advantage, Velocity Ratio and dynamic efficiencies of optional drive units (chain and belts)
- Appreciation of the different characteristics of drive systems
- Chain and Belt Drive Tension, including different methods of application