This solution is suitable for teaching students the technology behind modern power electronics systems, specifically ones used to convert between different forms of electrical energy in vehicles, domestic energy systems and a new wave of electronics devices.
The Power and Energy Electronics Solutions (LK3568) first explores power components including diodes, BJT, MOSFET, IGBT, SCR, thyristors and triacs. Following this, concepts illustrating how the components are used in power circuits including rectifiers, converters and inverters are discussed.
Worksheets are supplied which guide students through the learning activities.
- Diodes, BJT, MOSFET, IGBT, SCR, thyristors and triac components
- Speed control of DC motors
- Using inductive components for energy transfer
- Half and full-wave rectifiers
- Fixed voltage regulators
- Buck and boost converters
- Single-phase inverters using MOSFET and thyristor
- Modern power electronics topologies
- Sources of renewable energy