An experimental apparatus to allow students to investigate the relationship between torque and deflection in the elastic region of solid sections in various materials and a single tubular section.
The experiments hardware fits onto a Structures Test Frame (STR1, available separately). It examines the behaviour in the elastic region of solid and tubular-section specimens.
Two chucks on a backboard hold a test specimen. A mechanism on one chuck applies torque manually to the specimen. A protractor scale on this chuck measures angular movement. A load cell on the other chuck measures torque. The equipment includes a lead to connect the load cell to a Digital Force Display (STR1a, available separately). To vary the test length of a specimen, one chuck can traverse the backboard. Included is an electronic angular transducer for use with the optional Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000).
The lecturer guide provides details of the equipment including sample experiment results. The student guide describes how to use the equipment and gives experiment procedures.
For extra ‘virtual’ experiments, TecQuipment can supply the optional TecQuipment Structures Software (STRS), for use on a suitable computer. The virtual experiments simulate the tests you can perform with the hardware. They also extend the choice of tests beyond that available using only the hardware, for example: higher loads, uniform loads or different test specimens. This extends the student’s learning experience.
For automatic data acquisition of your experiment results, TecQuipment can supply the optional Automatic Data Acquisition Unit (STR2000). Supplied as standard with the STR2000 is TecQuipment’s Structures Software which displays and logs your experiment results and gives the extra virtual experiments.
- High-quality structures teaching module for students of mechanical, civil and structural engineering
- Allows safe and practical experiments into torsion of circular sections
- Realistic and verifiable experiment results
- Optional TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for extra ‘virtual’ experiments that simulate and confirm the results from your hardware and allow extended experiments
- Optional STR2000 unit with TecQuipment’s Structures Software package for automatic data acquisition and virtual experiments
- One of many interchangeable experiment modules from TecQuipment’s modern, flexible and cost effective structures teaching system
- Ideal for classroom demonstrations, or students working in pairs or small groups
- The relationship between specimen length, torque and angular deflection
- The behaviour of specimens of different material and sections
- General torsion theory
- Shear modulus
- Polar moment of inertia.