The PASPORT Motion Sensor is used to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of a target. The Motion Sensor can be set on a desktop, mounted to a rod stand, or attached to a PASCO Dynamics Track. The ultrasonic, pulse-ranging technology has a switch-selectable Standard Beam or Narrow Beam that rejects false signals for cleaner data collection.
- Measures position, velocity, and acceleration
- False Target Rejection Technology collects clean data
- Switch-selectable short-range and long-range settings
- Snaps onto PASCO dynamics tracks
- Mounts to rods for easy positioning
- 360° pivoting head
- Discover the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration
- Measure the motion of large objects, including students
- Monitor the sinusoidal motion of a mass on a spring
- Study conservation of energy and momentum during collisions
How It Works
An electrostatic transducer in the face of the Motion Sensor transmits a burst of 16 ultrasonic pulses with a frequency of about 49 kHz. The ultrasonic pulses reflect off the target and return to the face of the sensor. The target indicator flashes when the transducer detects an echo. The sensor measures the time between the trigger and echo rising edges, then, it uses this time and the speed of sound to calculate the object’s distance. To determine velocity, it uses consecutive position measurements to calculate the rate of change. It similarly determines acceleration by using consecutive velocity measurements.
Perform the following experiments and more with the PASPORT Motion Sensor.
Visit PASCO’s Experiment Library to view all activities for this product.
- Near and Far Positions
- Newton’s Second Law
- Position and Velocity
- Equations of Motion
- Force and Acceleration
|Minimum Range||0.15 meters|
|Maximum Range||8 meters|
|Maximum Sampling Rate||250 Hz|
|Narrow Near/Far Switch Settings||For distances up to 2 meters to reject false target signals or ignore air track noise.|
|Standard Near/Far Switch Settings||For longer distances up to 8 meters.|
|Cable Length||1.8 meter|
|Mounting Options||Non-skid rubber feet for table mount|