With PASCO’s Thermal Expansion Apparatus students can accurately and easily investigate the expansion of metals with increasing temperature.
Brass, copper and aluminum tubes are included so that students can compare the coefficients of expansion of the different metals. The fluid used to heat the tubes can be water or steam at any temperature. We recommend using our Steam Generator (not included).
Each tube has a built in thermistor housed under a short length of insulation which does not affect results but makes the tubes easier to handle when headed.
The Thermal Expansion Apparatus can be used in two different ways.
- The 3.5 mm jack from the Thermistors can be connected directly to a PASPORT Quad Temperature Sensor using a PASCO interface and data collectiona and analysis captured by PASCO Capstone or SPARKvue software.
- Or the 3.5 mm jack can be connected to the input on the base with a digital multimeter connected to the apparatus via banana jacks and the resistance of the thermistor measured.
When not in use, the tubes store neatly on the base of the apparatus.
- Built-in Digital Gauge: Measure the rod expansion with 0.01 mm resolution
- Built-in Thermistor: A 10 k thermistor is connected directly to each tube and the temperature can be determined using a digital ohmmeter or Temperature Sensor.
- Heat with Steam or Water: The fluid used may be steam or water at any temperature.
- Three Drop-in Metal Tubes: Each tube connects securely onto the rigid base. The other two can be simultaneously mounted on the base for convenient storage.
- 1x Base with built-in dial gauge and thermistor
- 1x Expansion tubes brass, copper and aluminum; 16 mm dia. (80 cm length)
|1x Steam Generator||TD-8556A|
Requires One Of These
|Wireless Temperature Sensor Link||PS-3222|
|PASPORT Temperature Sensor||PS-2125|
|PASPORT Quad Temperature Sensor||PS-2143|
|Basic Digital Multimeter||SE-9786A|
|PASPORT Displacement Sensor||PS-2204|