In this experiment, the period of a physical pendulum, a narrow bar, is determined as a function of the distance of the pivot from the center of mass. A computer model of the system is developed, which allows the student to vary the physical parameters of the model (gravity, length, c.m. position) to match the data. This makes it possible to obtain values for the physical parameters without direct measurement.
A second experiment verifies the parallel axis theorem. It also uses superposition to find the rotational inertia of a disk with an off-axis circular hole.
- Period of a physical pendulum
- Parallel Axis Theorem
- Rotational inertia
- 1x Physical Pendulum Set (ME-9833)
- 1x Wireless Rotary Motion Sensor (PS-3220)
- 1x Large Rod Base (ME-8735)
- 1x Stainless Steel Rod, 45 cm (ME-8736)
- 1x Super Pulley with Clamp (ME-9448B)