The dependence of the magnetic field strength of current-carrying coils on the distance from the coil along the perpendicular axis is determined and compared to the theoretical curve. In addition, the effect of varying the coil separation on the shape of the magnetic field between the Helmholtz coils is examined.
The magnetic fields of various coils are plotted vs. position as the Magnetic Field Sensor rides on a Smart Cart passing through the coils, guided by a track. The position is recorded by Smart Cart.
It is particularly interesting to compare the field from Helmholtz coils at the proper separation of the coil radius to the field from coils separated at less than or more than the coil radius. The magnetic field inside a solenoid can be examined in both the radial and axial directions.
PASCO Advantage: Using the PASCO Capstone™ curve fit, the theoretical equation for the magnetic field can be plotted on the same graph.
- Magnetic field of a single coil
- Magnetic field of Helmholtz coils
- Magnetic field inside a solenoid
- 1x Helmholtz Coil Base (EM-6715)
- 2x 500-Turn Field Coil (EM-6723A)
- 1x Smart Cart (Blue) (ME-1241)
- 1x Wireless Magnetic Field Sensor (PS-3221)
- 1x Aluminum Dynamics Track, 1.2 m (ME-9493)
- 1x Round Base with Rod (ME-8270)
- 1x Primary and Secondary Coils (SE-8653A)
- 2x Track Rod Clamp (ME-9836)
- 1x Student Power Supply (18 VDC, 3 A) (SE-8828)
- 1x Banana Plug Cord-Red (5 Pack) (SE-9750)
- 1x Banana Plug Cord-Black (5 Pack) (SE-9751)