Adiabatic and isothermal processes are difficult for most introductory physics students to understand. PASCO’s Adiabatic Gas Law Apparatus provides the ideal demonstration for student learning.
PASCO’s Adiabatic Gas Law Apparatus can be used with our 850 Universal Interface. The computer functions as a 3-channel storage oscilloscope, generating graphs for pressure, temperature, and volume, as well as integrating the area under a Pressure vs. Volume curve to determine the work done on the gas.
- Volume Transducer: A linear potential divider is mounted on the side of the piston. A 5-Volt source from the computer is applied across the potentiometer element. The voltage from the commutator brush on the cylinder is used to indicate the position of the piston and the volume of the confined gas.
- Pressure Sensor: A solid-state, piezoresistive device that forms part of a bridge circuit is mounted at the base of the cylinder.
- Temperature Sensor: Mounted in the cylinder on the top of the base. The active element is fine nickel wire with a high surface-to-mass ratio. The wire’s temperature changes rapidly as the gas compresses or expands.
- Compare the final pressure and temperature: values predicted by the Adiabatic Gas Law.
- Measure the work done on the gas: compare it to the change in internal energy and the theoretical work performed.
- Determine gamma: the ratio of specific heats for the gas (Cp/Cv).
- Use monatomic, diatomic and polyatomic gases: determine the effects of molecular structure on gamma.
- Investigate isothermal compression and expansion.
- 1x Adiabatic Gas Law Apparatus
- 1x Instruction Manual, Experiment Guide
- 1x Signal Cables 3.5 mm plug to 5-pin DIN
- 1x Power Adapter 9 V DC @ 1 A
This product requires PASCO software for data collection and analysis. We recommend the following option(s). For more information on which is right for your classroom, see our Software Comparison: SPARKvue vs. Capstone »
This product requires a PASCO Interface to connect to your computer or device. We recommend the following option(s). For a breakdown of features, capabilities, and additional options, see our Interface Comparison Guide »
|Adiabatic Gas Law Apparatus Manual||English||150.29 KB|