No study of interferometry should overlook the historical importance of the Michelson interferometer. Yet in the laboratory, the Fabry-Perot and Twyman-Green interferometers can be more important tools: the first for high-resolution spectroscopy; the second for testing and producing optical components with aberrations that can be measured in fractions of a wavelength.
The PASCO Interferometer is a high-precision, movable-mirror interferometer that can be used to perform Michelson, Fabry-Perot, and Twyman-Green interferometry. The mirrors are attached with thumbscrews, so it’s easy to set up and change configurations.
The PASCO Interferometer can be ordered in a variety of systems. The Precision Interferometer can be operated in either the Michelson or Fabry-Perot modes. The Complete Interferometer Systems also contain components for the Twyman-Green mode and a vacuum pump for the refractive index of air experiment. The Systems Component List shows the contents of each system.
- Stable: The massive (5 kg) base is machined from a single block of aluminum ensuring extremely stable optics.
- Smooth Mirror Movement: With the taut-band suspension system, there’s no starting or stopping friction and virtually no backlash (less than 0.5 micron).
- Precise Measurements: Mirror control is extremely fine: one micron per division of the micrometer head. The mirrors and beam-splitter are flat to 1/4 wavelength to ensure uniform interference patterns.
- Larger Optics: The 3.2 cm (1-1/4″) diameter optics in the PASCO Interferometer produce larger and sharper interference patterns for better experimental results.
- Complete: The Basic Interferometer includes everything necessary to perform basic Michelson and Fabry-Perot interferometry.
- Perform basic Michelson and Fabry-Perot interferometry
- Demonstrate that cross-polarized beams will not interfere
- Measure lens irregularities in Twyman-Green Mode
- Measure the indices of refraction for air and glass
- Measure the indices of refraction for user-supplied materials
- Introduction to Interferometry
- The Index of Refraction of Air
- The Index of Refraction of Glass
- 1 x Hand Operated Vacuum Pump (OS-8502)
- 1 x Mini Laser with Bracket (OS-8514)
- 1 x Laser Alignment Bench — Advanced Optics (OS-9172)
- 1 x Machined Base — 5 kg
- 1 x Three-Point Adjustable Mirror
- 1 x Mounted Beam-Splitter
- 1 x Mounted Movable Mirror
- 3 x Accessory Mounts
- 1 x Compensator Lens
- 1 x Fitted Case
- 1 x Gas Cell
- 2 x Calibrated Polarizer
- 1 x Glass Plate
- 1 x Rotating Component Holder
- 2 x Twyman-Green lenses
- 1 x Instruction Manual
|Precision Interferometer Manual||English||648.91 KB|
|Laser Alignment Bench Manual||English||53.02 KB|
|Mini Laser Adapter Kit Manual||English||64.53 KB|