The Chaos/Driven Harmonic Accessory allows students to study the behavior of a physical pendulum in either harmonic or chaotic motion. The disk mounts to a Rotary Motion Sensor, allowing PASCO Capstone™ to monitor and plot the pendulum’s angular position and velocity.
How It Works
- Chaotic Motion: Chaotic oscillations of the physical pendulum are produced by adjusting the magnetic damping, the driver amplitude and driver frequency.
- Driven Harmonic Motion: As a 10 cm aluminum disk is driven by a mechanical oscillator, two Rotary Motion Sensors simultaneously monitor the position of the disk and driver. The bidirectional sensors resolve to 1°, so the computer can easily display amplitude, frequency and phase.
- Damped Pendulum: The Rotary Motion Sensor graphically monitors the damped oscillations of an aluminum disk. A movable magnet allows students to change the strength of magnetic damping.
- 1x Rotating Disk (9.5 cm diameter, 120 g)
- 1x Eccentric Mass (15 g)
- 1x Springs
- 1x Adjustable Magnet for Damping
This product requires PASCO software for data collection and analysis. We recommend the following option(s). For more information on which is right for your classroom, see our Software Comparison: SPARKvue vs. Capstone »
This product requires a PASCO Interface to connect to your computer or device. We recommend the following option(s). For a breakdown of features, capabilities, and additional options, see our Interface Comparison Guide »