The total work done on an object is compared with the change in kinetic energy of the object. Using a High Resolution Force Sensor and a Motion Sensor, students record and display the force as a function of position. The work done is the area under the Force vs. Position plot. At any point during the experiment, kinetic energy is calculated from the velocity measured with the Motion Sensor. Students explore the meaning of dissipative forces.
PASCO Advantage: Instead of just focusing on the end points, real-time measurements of force, position, and velocity allow students to continuously examine the work done and the resulting kinetic energy of the cart during its entire trip down the track.
Designed for use with any of the following
- 850 Universal Interface
- 550 Universal Interface
- Any PASPORT interface with 2 ports
- Kinetic energy
- Potential energy
- Work energy theorem
- Conservation of mechanical energy
- 1x PASPORT High Resolution Force Sensor (PS-2189)
- 1x PASPORT Motion Sensor (PS-2103A)
- 1x Force Sensor Track Bracket (ME-6622)
- 1x IDS Spring Kit (ME-8999)
- 1x Braided Physics String (SE-8050)
1x Balance or Scale